Tender squash noodles are gently charred on the grill and then topped topped with a rich tomato-based meat sauce for a satisfying and tasty meal.
- 5 pounds spaghetti squash
- 1 medium onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 sprig of fresh rosemary
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound ground beef, turkey, or chicken
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 28 ounces crushed tomatoes
- a handful of fresh basil leaves, roughly torn
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Carefully slice your spaghetti squash into 1/2-inch rounds across the width of the squash. Discard the top and bottom pieces. Use a spoon to scoop out the seeds from the center of the slices. Preheat your grill with a medium flame.
- Chop the onion. Mince the garlic and fresh rosemary. Brush the squash with half of the olive oil and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon of salt and the chopped rosemary.
- Grill the squash over a medium-low flame, for about 20 minutes or until tender but not overly soft. Flip every 5 minutes during cooking to prevent burning.
- Meanwhile, in a large pan, saute the onions in the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil until golden, about 8 minutes. Add the meat, oregano, garlic, and salt. Break up the meat with a spoon and cook for 5 or so minutes until browned.
- Add the red wine, turn up the heat, and cook for 2 minutes. Pour in the crushed tomatoes and gently simmer over low heat until reduced by about a third and the sauce has thickened.
- Use a fork to separate the skins from the cooked squash slices. You'll want to let the slices cool slightly after taking them off the grill so they're easy to handle. Gently break up the squash slices into noodles and serve topped with the meat sauce, cheese, and some torn basil leaves.
Keep an eye on the squash while it's on the grill. You don't want to let it burn or overcook to the point of being mushy. Stab it with a fork every once in a while to gauge its doneness. You want it tender, but not overly soft.
Feel free to skip the wine if you don't have it or don't drink wine.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Main Dishes
- Method: Grilling
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: spaghetti squash noodles, meat sauce, grilled squash