A naturally sweetened date and carrot cake topped with a cream cheese icing. Great as a breakfast, snack, or dessert.
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- about 3 carrots
- 7 Medjool dates, pitted
- 1/2 cup pineapple chunks with juice
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 ounces cream cheese
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and grease a bread loaf pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients, including the flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg.
- Grate the carrots with a box grater or food processor. You need 1 1/2 cups total.
- Prep the dates by removing the pits and putting them in a food processor or blender with a splash of water and puree until you have a smooth paste.
- In a second bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients, including the pineapple, oil, eggs, and date puree.
- Combine the wet ingredients into the dry and then stir in the carrots and walnuts until the dry ingredients are completey incorporated.
- Pour the batter into the bread loaf pan and smooth the top.
- Bake in the center of the oven for 40-45 minutes or until completely baked through.
- Allow the cake to cool while you prep the icing. Heat the cream cheese in a small bowl in the microwave for 10 seconds. Whisk until smooth. Add in the maple syrup, one tablespoon at a time, until incorporated.
- Ice the cake and serve.
If the cake batter seems too thick when you go to pour it into the loaf pan, add an extra splash of pineapple juice. It should be the consistency of thick batter that easily pours out of the bowl.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Category: Desserts
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: carrot cake, date cake, carrots, dates, spring, easter, cream cheese icing