A satisfying cherry rhubarb pie made with sweet cherries and fresh rhubarb for a perfect balance of sweet and tart. A great alternative to the popular strawberry rhubarb combo.
For the crust:
- 1/2 cup almonds
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 sticks of cold unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
- 6 tablespoons of iced water
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon coarse sugar (optional)
For the filling:
- 2 pounds of sweet cherries
- 1/2 cup cherry jam
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons bourbon
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 12 ounces rhubarb, chopped into 1/2 inch pieces (about 2 cups)
- Make the crust. In a food processor, pulse the almonds until finely chopped. Add the flour, sugar, and salt and pulse a few times to combine. Add in the butter, and pulse a few times until the texture is crumbly, then add in water until a dough forms.
- Remove the dough from the processor, divide the dough in half, wrap each in plastic, and flatten them into round discs. Place in the fridge for 30 minutes to chill while you make the filling.
- For the filling, start by pitting the cherries. Set aside. In a medium-sized pot, combine the jam and sugar. Over low heat, stir until the sugar is dissolved. Whisk together the cornstarch and bourbon then add to the pot. Continue to cook until thickened. Add the pitted cherries, cinnamon, salt, zest, and rhubarb, and toss to coat. Set aside to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. While the filling cools, take one of the discs out of the fridge. Remove the plastic and place it on a lightly floured counter. Roll out with a rolling pin until about 10 inches wide. Place in your pie plate and adjust as needed. Pour in the filling.
- Roll out the second disc of dough. You can use it as a whole with a few holes for venting, cut into strips for a lattice topping, or however you prefer. Pinch or squeeze together the top and bottom crusts. Beat the egg yolk with a splash of water and brush over the dough.
- Place the pie on a baking sheet and place in the middle of the oven. Bake for 20 minutes. Lower the heat to 350 F and sprinkle with the sugar, if using. Bake another 45-55 minutes until the crust is golden and the filling is bubbling. Allow to completely cool for about an hour before serving.
The bourbon can be subbed with 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract and 1 tablespoon of water.
You may have a little extra filling and dough depending on the size of your pie plate. Cook/bake this as you like.
If you want to save some time, feel free to use a premade pie crust instead of making your own. Just skip those steps.
- Prep Time: 45 minutes
- Cook Time: 75 minutes
- Category: Desserts
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: cherry pie, rhubarb pie, cherries, rhubarb, fruit pie, rhubarb recipes